Thursday, January 31, 2008

Artist Profile Mad Hatter Ceramics

Elizabeth Lagfled of Mad Hatter Ceramics makes whimsical pots and clay things. Here she discusses her beginnings and her inspirations

"I knew I was hooked on clay after taking a summer wheel-throwing class in Alexandria, VA in 2005.
But unfortunately, I hurt my hand skiing in March 2007, and had to switch from the wheel to hand-building. I have always liked to sew, and collect buttons, so when I started playing around with slabs, buttons seemed natural to "sew" my seams up. That led to my button line, and then I expanded my collection and made it even more whimsical with polka dots, swirling forms and "wood". My work is largely inspired by Alice in Wonderland, the origin for my company, Mad Hatter Ceramics. My favorite pieces merge form and function, artfully designed objects that can be used in everyday life."
Liz is also a member of the Creative Clay Studios in Alexandria VA Find this studio, leaning center and store on the web at http://creativeclaypottery.com/cool.htm

No comments: